Thread: Getting Started

Getting Started

I took my 14 year old son paintballing in Cochrane on the weekend and he loved it. Now he wants to do it all summer and buy a gun and equipment.
    My question is what are the best resources and websites to look at? I dont even know where to go around Calgary except for Cochrane (which is run top notch). Can some one help with information on how to get started and where to go for beginners?
    Is the summer camps for kids to paintball everyday or will I have to drive him out?
    Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

Techpb will be a great resource. Get him started with a decent mask and padding then go to the rest of gear from there. I don't ball in Calgary but I've heard that rampage is a solid place to go.

if you want to go to a store there are 3 in calgary

MR paintball i have always had a good time there with good prices and knowledge of gear located near rampage paintball indoor

gopaintball i have not been to the Calgary store but the Edmonton store has a wide variety to choose from and a good staff as well located in rampage city paintball indoor

then there is badlands 2 locations in calgary

im just telling you this to give you options but i personally like to try gear on before i buy but techpb is a good rescorce as well they have a lot of videos that can help a newer player out from how to play on a budget to reviews of equipment

Hello Brycat,

Happy to hear your son has taken a liking to paintball.

Of course there are different avenues to take each with its own things to consider.

First is understanding the sport. The ultimate resource online is PBnation.com Most of your questions can be answered there however there is a fair amount of sarcasm that can be dealt sadly but don't let that deter you! As mentioned TechPB is also a great resource which you can find on Youtube.

Secondly is where to play and what style your child would enjoy more. Woodsball or speedball? Before looking at buying gear I would suggest your child try or at least watch both. This will have a large effect on the gear that you buy or he buys himself.

Third would be the basics, gear and home field. Let's start with field. For woods ball your closest popular venues are Bragg creek paintball which I recommend, and Rampage citys outdoor venue which I believe is located in Okatoks "Urban Combat" Speedball can be played at Rampage City in Calgary and hosts numerous nightly events including skills night and other open aspects to developing players. And speedball is also available at Bragg Creek once again. Try to find a member of team "Toxic". They are a group of outstanding players whom I am confidant will welcome you and your child with open arms and will answer any questions you have.

And of course the gear. This all comes down to what your budget looks like. I should inform you Paintball CAN BE an expensive hobby. And the start up cost is the hardest part. I would recommend trying on and trying out as many available options as you can before spending money. There are different size guns and tanks that feel too long, too short, or just about right, Some masks just fit differently or cover more or less area of the jaw and neck. Pant's are mostly personal preferance...(A lot about paintball is based on that) elbow pads and knee pads may or may not be applicable depending on which course your child takes.

And of course the gun... Woodsball gun...speedball gun... One that just works, one that looks cool, one that can be afforded, one that's worth as much as you think it is, one that's quiet, one thats efficiant, one that's light, one that's not a bright colour, One that IS a bright color, one that's accurate, one that your child would be proud of, All these and more are things to be considered for both kinds of paintball. I WILL give you this initial tip. The accuracy part comes totally from the bore size of the barrel. Nothing else. Buy a gun that will take a popular barrel size kit or find out what approx what paint your child will shoot most often and buy an aftermarket barrel in that size. Usually a .685 bore size is a good bet.

I hope this helped out a lot and I'll be happy to answer any future questions you have. I have no experience playing at the field your son played at but if you are happy with their service and what you think your son will learn from there I always encourage people to support their home field and local paintball community first. That being said, For the most part the world of paintball is quite unique for it's overly neighborly attitude compared to some other sports. Don't be shy to chat with other players and ask questions. I'm sure you will get the best results that way.

Nathan

Thanks for the information it will definatley help!!